Skip to Content

What happens if a dog eats chocolate-covered almonds?

So, your dog has eaten some chocolate-covered almonds. Hey, they taste good, right?

Unfortunately, this was a bad move on your dog’s part. Chocolate-covered almonds are a general no-no for dogs. Why? First of all, as you probably know, chocolate is toxic to dogs. They simply cannot metabolize it the way we humans can.

In addition, almonds aren’t great for dogs either. They may be a tasty and healthy snack for humans, but they can cause significant gastrointestinal distress for dogs.

In the following article, we’ll take a look at why dogs shouldn’t be eating chocolate-covered almonds and what you should do if your dog has already committed this canine crime.

Can dogs eat chocolate-covered almonds?

Technically speaking, dogs can definitely eat chocolate-covered almonds (and they will enjoy them) … but they shouldn’t!

If you leave a handful of this food on the counter and your dog has a tendency to creep around and snack on whatever they can find, your dog will definitely consume the almonds, and they will probably love the taste of them.

Unfortunately, this can pose a threat to their health.

Why dogs should not eat chocolate-covered almonds

The reason dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate-covered almonds is twofold. First, chocolate is toxic to dogs. Second, almonds are not easily digestible by dogs. Furthermore, almonds can actually block the digestive system of your dog. They are hard and tough and can block your dog’s esophagus or windpipe on the way down, or they can block their intestines deeper in the digestive tract.

If these issues are not treated right away, they may require surgery or even be fatal in worst-case scenarios.

What happens if a dog eats chocolate-covered almonds?

Your dog is probably going to get an upset stomach after eating chocolate-covered almonds. This is even more true when they have eaten a larger quantity of this food. They may have some vomiting and diarrhea, and they may seem excessively tired and lethargic. Watch for other symptoms closely, and if anything alarms you, be sure to call your veterinarian right away.

It also never hurts to call your veterinarian anyway just to let them know that this is a situation you’re dealing with. They may have some insight as to how the almonds might affect your canine friend.

Are chocolate-covered almonds poisonous to dogs?

The term “poisonous” usually implies that something will kill you if you consume it. This isn’t generally the case with chocolate-covered almonds and dogs.

At the same time, it is not a good idea to feed chocolate-covered almonds to your dog as it can certainly cause gastrointestinal problems. In some cases, when large quantities are eaten, this food can even be fatal.

Size matters

When it comes to your dog and their safety after consuming chocolate-covered almonds, it’s also important to remember that size does matter.

In other words, if your dog is a larger breed, they’re more likely to be okay after consuming this food. This is because they have larger esophaguses and larger intestines, so a blockage is unlikely. Also, chocolate will affect them less because they are bigger overall.

Small breeds will be more affected by consuming a small amount of chocolate. Furthermore, it is always possible that the tough brittleness of almonds can cause an obstruction in a small breed’s esophagus or intestines.

What to do if my dog eats chocolate-covered almonds?

If your dog has eaten chocolate-covered almonds, you’ll want to take action right away.

Your pooch will probably be fine, but don’t simply assume this because chocolate toxicity in dogs is a real thing. Furthermore, almonds complicate the issue by presenting even more potential health problems for your dog.

Call your veterinarian

If you have a veterinarian, call them right away and let them know the situation. They will probably ask you how many almonds your dog ate, what type of almonds they were (Did they have any spices on them? Were the almonds covered in a dark chocolate or a milk chocolate?), and how much your dog weighs.

In most cases, your veterinarian will suggest that you induce vomiting. They may help you do this or tell you to do it on your own.

In order to induce vomiting in a dog, you need to administer hydrogen peroxide (the 3% solution). To calculate how much hydrogen peroxide to give your dog, get their accurate weight and divide this number by five.

Let’s say your dog weighs 30 pounds. If you divide 30 by five, you’ll get six. For every five pounds of dog weight, give your dog one teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. In this case, you would be giving your dog six teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide.

Keep in mind that dogs weighing over 45 pounds should not consume more than three tablespoons (nine teaspoons) of the 3% hydrogen proximate solution.

Can dogs eat regular almonds?

They shouldn’t. Regular almonds can cause obstructions in your dog’s windpipe, esophagus, or intestines. This is especially common if small dog breeds eat regular almonds.

Other varieties of almonds

Even if the almonds do not obstruct your dog’s digestive system, they may cause other problems, and yes, this is true even if they are not chocolate covered.

Super salty almonds or those covered with special spices can irritate your dog’s general digestion or cause salt toxicity and water retention in some cases (usually when a dog has eaten a considerable amount of almonds).

How many almonds can hurt a dog?

Generally speaking, if you have a mid to large sized dog and they’ve eaten one or two almonds, you’re probably in the clear. Yes, this is even true if the almonds were covered in chocolate. Although certainly not an ideal snack for any dog, this scenario doesn’t pose much of a threat because it was a limited quantity that your dog ate.

On the other hand, if a handful or more of almonds were consumed, you may want to induce vomiting. Likewise, if your dog is a very small breed and they’ve eaten a few almonds or more, it may be a good idea to seek help from your vet as well.

Potential symptoms of almond toxicity in dogs

No matter what type of almonds were consumed or how many, always keep an eye on your dog and watch for potentially life-threatening symoms. These may include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Excessive gas
  • Extreme lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Overall discomfort