The Newfoundland is one of the most sought-after dogs in the world. It is brave, protective, well-natured, and an all-around pleasure to have as a companion. Pit bulls are regarded as some of the most loyal dogs. Their strength is incredible as well as their fearlessness. So, how about a Newfoundland pit bull mix? Here’s everything you need to know.
Most Newfoundland pit bull mix dogs are well-natured dogs that are brave and loyal like their thoroughbred parents. They typically resemble the shape of a Newfoundland while still having a few trademark pit bull characteristics, like a white coat under the neck. Overall, the mix is a good pet.
Newfoundland pit bull breeds are not very common dogs. So, finding information about them, especially accurate information, is tricky. So, if you want to know as much about the dog as possible, I recommend you keep reading, as I will discuss most of what you need to know. Let’s get into it.
What Is The Temperament Of A Newfoundland Pit Bull?
It is essential to understand that Newfoundland and pit bulls are incredible dogs. While they are different, they are both highly loyal, intelligent, hard-working dogs.
Before we talk about a Newfoundland and pit bull mix, I want to talk a little bit about both the pit bull and the Newfoundland separately regarding their temperaments:
- Pit bull temperament: A pit bull will protect its family at all costs because the dog is fearless and loyal. While a pit bull may show aggression towards other animals in some cases, it is unlikely to show aggression towards humans, especially its family. Training starts early in a pit bull’s life because the dog is known to be stubborn, especially when it is five years old or older.
- Newfoundland temperament: These dogs make excellent family pets. They are calm and docile and barely ever show aggression towards other animals unless they are trained to do so, and they hardly ever show aggression towards humans. Instead, they are working dogs that can save people from water when needed.
A Newfoundland pit bull mix will get most of those traits; which ones are more predominant depends on which genes are stronger between the parents who breed the dog.
However, this breed typically has the playfulness of a pit bull without much of its aggression and stubbornness. Nevertheless, the dog still shows some level of calmness when around its family.
How Big Will A Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Get?
Both Newfoundland and pit bulls are not small dogs. In fact, even if pit bulls don’t get too tall, they often widen out as they age. On the other hand, Newfoundland dogs are naturally big and tall. That said, pit bulls are usually the more intimidating-looking dog.
The average Newfoundland pit bull breed is around 1.5 to 2 feet tall; females also average at about 1.5 to 1.8 feet tall.
The average pit bull is around 1.5 to 1.75 feet tall, whereas Newfoundland averages anywhere from 1.8 to 2 feet tall. However, females are often on the slightly smaller side of those numbers.
We also need to take into account that all dogs are different, and the numbers I am using are based on using an American pit bull terrier and not one of the other pit bulls. So, for example, if you choose to use a Staffordshire pit bull, it might not reach those heights.
Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Weight
Again, the Newfoundland breed is heavier, on average, than an American pit bull. The difference is quite significant. That said, neither of these dogs is light, relatively speaking. So let’s break these numbers down, starting with the mix breed dog:
- On average, you can expect a Newfoundland pit bull mix to weigh around 60 lbs. However, it can weigh anywhere between 30 lbs to 80 lbs. Females are typically on the lower end of that.
- A healthy Newfoundland female can weigh up to 120 lbs. Male Newfoundlands can weigh up to 160 lbs.
- An American pit bull averages around 50 to 60 lbs, both male and female.
The weight can depend on the two parents of the Newfoundland pit bull mix. For example, an American bulldog can weigh up to 180 pounds; this is significant because the dog is not nearly as tall as a Newfoundland.
However, most Newfoundland Pit bull mix breeds are bred using a Newfoundland and an American Pit bull terrier.
Do Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Breeds Have Health Issues?
Both pit bulls and Newfoundland dogs have a few health issues that can flare up if the dog is not adequately taken care of. However, it can also sometimes flare up randomly. Some of these traits do get passed down to a Newfoundland pit bull mix.
One disease that can get passed down from pit bulls is mange, as they are known to have this issue. However, if the mix has a coat that resembles a Newfoundland, a thick coat, or a double coat, it might be hard for you to spot these skin problems, so I advise constantly checking at least once or twice a month.
Other than that, here or a few diseases that you need to watch out for if you own a Newfoundland pit bull mix:
- Joint issues, especially in the knees and hip.
- Eye problems can be passed down from the Newfoundland genes.
- Heart disease
- Gastric torsion
Gastric torsion is a severe health issue, and you must get your dog safely to the closest vet as quickly as possible if you suspect that they are going through this issue. Here are a few subtle and not-so-subtle signs that you should look out for:
- The dog may collapse randomly
- A bloated stomach
- Rapid breathing
I emphasized gastric torsion because many dog owners might mistake lethargy for tiredness and anxiety for restlessness (naughtiness) which is why it is a silent killer.
What Is The Best Food For A Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix?
Newfoundland pit bull mix dogs are not fussy when it comes to food. Many dog owners like to prepare their own, while others prefer to get pellets and canned dog food.
This breed does not require special food unless your vet specifies that they need it. This could be for various issues, typically skin issues or obesity.
However, as long as you feed them a healthy amount and don’t give them too much human food, they should be OK. If you buy pellets, I highly recommend going for a medium to large dog type of food, which may be different from pit bull owners who can choose small to medium dog food.
It is up to you whether you feed your dog once or twice a day. There is somewhat of a debate about which is best. Again, however, it is up to you, your circumstances, and what your dog is used to. Remember, the Newfoundland genes are prone to obesity, so you want to keep an eye on that.
How To Keep Your Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Healthy
All dogs are precious regardless of what breed you have; they make great companions, at least for most people. Therefore, it makes sense if you want to maximize the lifespan of your dog, and today we are going to discuss a few tips for prolonging the life of your Newfoundland pit bull mix:
- Ensure your dog is well groomed, especially if the hair is almost as long as a thoroughbred Newfoundland. It is harder to detect skin issues on dogs with large or double coats.
- At least once or twice a month, inspect the skin. You can do this by slowly going over the dog’s coat.
- Make sure you are feeding your dog the right food but luckily, with the Newfoundland pit bull mix, there is no specific type of food they should eat except if the vet recommends it.
- Daily exercise is of the utmost importance. I recommend at least a 20-minute walk every day. If you can’t do it every day, every second day will be fine.
- Try and keep fleas and ticks away from your dog.
- Dogs are generally happy. You can see a dog in a horrible situation, and they will still be full of joy, so gauging their happiness can be tricky. However, it would be best if you created a pleasant environment for your dog to help prolong their life.
I know it seems simple, but it is so easy to forget the basics when looking after a dog and when looking after this breed, you aren’t looking after just any dog. Instead, you’re looking after one bred to be a working dog, and one rescues humans when in trouble.
Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Life Span
Discussing the lifespan of any dog is never a pleasant topic. When we have children, we always assume that there will be around for the rest of our lives. Likewise, when we look at our parents, we hope they will be around for most of our lives. Unfortunately, however, dogs don’t have a very long lifespan.
- Newfoundland dogs only have a lifespan of around ten years. It may be more for some, but that depends on the dog.
- Pit bulls can live anywhere between 10 to 14 years, so they have a longer life span than Newfoundland dogs on average.
- A Newfoundland Pit bull mix can live anywhere between 10 and 14 years, much like the pit bull. However, it mostly depends on which breed passed down the most potent genes. If it was the Newfoundland, the lifespan might be shorter but longer if the pit bull had stronger genes. Bye
You can maximize your dog’s lifespan with proper care, but a few diseases or health issues can occur randomly.
Is A Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix A Power Breed?
When a pit bull is mixed with a Newfoundland, much of what makes a pit bull a power breed gets subdued. So, I wouldn’t call a Newfoundland pit bull mix a power breed per se, but to better understand what they are, let’s take a look at where they come from.
- To some, a Newfoundland dog may be a power breed. However, the dog has a sweet temper and is not hard to manage. To best way to describe what breed a Newfoundland is to call it a working dog because that is what this specific dog was bred to do.
- Pit bulls can also be lovable dogs, but due to their stubbornness, they may be harder to manage for some than others. Therefore, they are power breeds. These dogs are incredibly strong.
To be clear, Newfoundlands are one of the world’s most powerful and protective dogs. They are massive and weigh quite a lot. Like pit bulls, they have powerful jaws, but their calm nature makes them, not a power breed.
That said, if the genes passed down from the pit bull are strong enough, then a Newfoundland pit bull mix can have the same characteristics that make it a pit bull a power breed. You will learn this over time as you learn to manage and understand the temperament of your specific dog.
Are Newfoundland Pit Bull Mix Breeds Good Family Dogs?
If you want a loving and loyal dog, I highly recommend a Newfoundland pit bull mix. You get the best characteristics from two of the best dogs. Here is what you can expect from these dogs:
- Friendly nature
Remember, as calm as Newfoundland dogs are, they still need to be brought up in a good environment. Kids should, regardless of the dog breed, always respect the dog.
Newfoundland pit bull mix dogs are excellent for various purposes. They make great companions, workers, and even family members. However, I hope this article and its contents have given you a better idea of what might be needed from you as a dog owner and what you can expect.