Dogs will eat almost anything, and if there is good-smelling meat, they will eat it fast. Salami is a fermented or dried, meat that has various spices in it.
Traditionally it was made of pork, but it can be made with any kind of meat. It was created among poorer people in Europe as meat that could be stored and that would not spoil easily. Because it is dried, it does not have bacteria and will not spoil for a very long time.
It was not the healthiest food, but it was good then because they did not have refrigeration. Today, it is fine for humans in moderation. It is probably fine for a dog to have small pieces of salami now and then, but there are some issues that could cause your dog problems if she eats salami.
Can dogs eat salami?
The short answer is yes, dogs can eat salami. It will not kill them. The best question perhaps, is “should” your dog eat salami? Most animal experts discourage giving your dog salami or any meat that has a lot of salt and fat. Even so, Salami won’t kill your dog, and if given rarely in small amounts, there should be no problems.
A little salami is not necessarily bad for a dog, but it is not great for a dog either. It is low in carbs and calories and high in protein, and those are good things. Salami is also high in fat and sodium, which are not good things for dogs or for humans.
It often has onion and garlic as well, and those two things have chemicals that can be toxic to dogs. Eating a whole onion might kill a small dog. The amount of onion salami won’t kill a dog. It could, however, cause stomach problems and even pancreatitis in extreme cases.
Some breeds of dogs have a harder time digesting fat than others, so your dog might get an u.pset stomach. Some breeds have less tolerance for bad chemicals in onions. Schnauzers, for instance, have a hard time digesting fat and it will cause them more issues than other dogs.
Fat can cause stomach problems when a dog has difficulty digesting it. It will also cause a stomach ache if the dog is not used to eating fat or salty food. It can cause heart problems eventually. One big problem is that fat contributes heavily to dogs becoming fat or obese.
Some dogs are more likely to have digestive issues than others, and some breeds are more likely to get fat.
Some breeds that tend to get overweight:
- Labrador retrievers
- Bassett Hounds
There are some health risks if dogs eat salami, but it is not something that will kill your dog. Some feel it should not be given to dogs at all, and there are better treats out there.
The problem is not so much the actual meat in the salami. The greater problem is the salt, fat, preservatives, and spices, which will cause problems for your dog. Pork is often used to make salami. While salami could cause problems, plain pork that is low in fat is good for your dog. Fat and sodium are the main culprits.
If you want to give your dog treats that include meat, give them meat that has little or no fat. Processed food can also contribute to health issues, so avoid processed meats.
Pork, chicken, and fish are all healthy and safe for your dog when given in moderation.
What happens if my dog eats salami?
Initially, nothing will happen when your dog eats salami. If the dog ate a lot of salami, he or she may get sick. If they are not used to fatty foods, they will likely throw up or have some diarrhea at some point. In the meantime, the dog will have a stomach ache. The dog may also get thirsty as salami has a lot of sodium.
The high level of sodium could give your dog salt poisoning, and the fat could cause pancreatitis. But those are rare cases and the dog would have to have a lot for that to happen. The chemicals created by the drying process, as well as the spices used, are also not good for your dog.
The high-fat content is also a major issue with salami. Foods that are high in fat lead to obesity. The fat can also cause pancreas problems. As noted, it is also hard for dogs to digest, so it can cause stomach aches.
Stomach aches can cause them to pass gas, which is smelly. It can also cause them to throw up or have diarrhea, and that leaves a big mess in your house. It will take some time for anything to happen, so it may be hours before your dog throws up.
The greater concern may be the long-term effects of your dog eating this kind of food regularly would have.
What to do if my dog eats salami?
The only thing you can do if your dog eats salami is to keep your eye on the dog and take care of it if needed. There is nothing to do otherwise. The salami is not going to kill the dog, but it could make the dog sick.
If the dog has gotten hold of a big tube of salami and is in the process of eating it, you should take it away. More than a couple of slices at one time is more than a dog needs. If a dog eats more than that, it is very likely to have some stomach issues.
If your dog has eaten a lot of salami, you should keep careful watch for a while. The dog may need to throw up soon or may have some loose stools. That can happen quickly, so you need to be ready to let the dog outside as fast as possible. The positive thing is, once that happens, it will be out of the dog’s system and there should not be any more immediate problems.
If the dog managed to get only one slice, there may be nothing noticeable that happens. The dog may have a minor upset stomach but nothing more.
Your dog could get a little extra thirsty as a result of the sodium in salami, and that is another minor result.
You can give your dog small amounts of salami, but they should be very small and not very often. Keep in mind there may be long-term effects if you give your dog too much salami for a long period of time.